Our program offers Northwestern University’s McGaw Graduate Medical trainees (residents and fellows) a competency-based global health certificate program to provide them with training in clinical care delivery in resource-limited settings worldwide.
The McGaw Global Health Clinical Scholars Program is a two-year certificate program, eligible trainees must complete the following curricular components.
- Ten of twelve core lectures
- Five of six specialty lectures
- Participation in a professional development and journal club
- Web-based training modules (part of the above required lectures)
- Simulation training
- Development of cross residency skills exchange
- Global health field experience*
- Production and presentation of a scholarly project*
These curricular components were created to meet the following global health competencies:
- Describe the global burden of disease and demonstrate understanding of epidemiologic tools and methods
- Understand the health implications of travel, migration, and trade
- Recognize the major determinants of health
- Explain the role of community-engagement strategies in capacity strengthening
- Demonstrate high standards of ethical conduct and quality in global healthcare
- Provide culturally sensitive care and support to patients
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of the relationship between health and human rights
- Develop global health-focused scholarly work
The program components and competencies are based on recommendations by global health educators that fulfill ACGME competencies.
- Provide an education in core concepts in global health for trainees and fellows across specialties
- Provide high-quality global health training experiences
- Mentored scholarly projects
For More Information:
Daniel Young, Associate Director, Global Health Education
Center for Global Health
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
645. N. Michigan Avenue, Suite 1058
Chicago, IL 60611
tel: +1 312 503 8829
fax: +1 312 503 8800
Application deadlines are finalized in the Fall for a Winter deadline.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interesting in applying.