Call for Members
For More Information:
Daniel Young, Associate Director, Global Health Education
Center for Global Health
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
645. N. Michigan Avenue, Suite 1058
Chicago, IL 60611
tel: +1 312 503 8829
fax: +1 312 503 8800
Deadline to Apply: October 14, 2012
The Center for Global Health values engaging with FSM students in global health education initiatives at the medical school and invites their participation in the Center's work by announcing a call for new members for the FSM Student Committee on Global Health. FSM students from all class years are invited to participate. By serving on the student committee, FSM students have a unique opportunity to work alongside center administrators and faculty to help shape the vision and direction of global health education at Feinberg. Members also gain an opportunity to network with peers and develop connections across classes with other student leaders interested in global health.
Goals and Objectives for the Student Advisory Committee on Global Health:
- Provide recommendations and a student voice to the center regarding medical school policy, strategy, community-building activities, and program development.
- Develop and plan student-focused global health events such as alumni panels, guest speakers, discussion groups, etc…
- Increase the visibility of global health related work at FSM and Northwestern University, help attract/contribute new resources, and sustain a long-term commitment to global health at Feinberg.
- Plan specific annual including global health socials, such as happy hours and work closely with CGH's Associate Director on the global health poster session.
- Participate in CGH information sessions and other recruitment events.
- Coordinate and collaborate with other FSM student organizations with similar global health activities and interests.
- Learn leadership and teamwork skills
Committee Structure and Expectations:
- Ten to twelve student members
- Representation from all class years (M1 – M4)
- Committee will be housed in the Center for Global Health and will be asked to work hand-in-hand with the center on major global health education initiatives.
- Members with significant past experience and engagement in global health, either at FSM, professionally, or during undergraduate/post-graduate education will be invited to participate.
- All committee members must be in good academic standing.
Roles and Responsibilities
- M1s and M2s due to their schedules are expected to take on the lion-share of the responsibility for planning special events and taking the lead on new initiatives. The time commitment is 2 hours per month.
- M3s and M4s are strongly encouraged to take on advisory roles on the committee. Due to the time commitment required for clinical rotations, they are not expected to attend all meetings or take the lead on events, but they are asked to contribute their opinions and perspectives. M3s and M4s are expected to respond to committee communications and collaborate on online documents in a timely fashion. The time commitment is 1 hour per month.
- Committee Chair: The committee chair is traditionally held by an M1 who shows particular dedication to and past experience in the field of global health. The committee chair is expected to take the lead in scheduling regular meetings, maintaining committee's annual calendar, and should be able to collaborate and communicate well with peers. The chair will work closely with CGH's Associate Director on major projects and should expect to devote approximately 3 hours per month working on committee activities. Chair transition occurs by mid-February to allow incoming M1 members to learn about FSM and the committee's role before taking on leadership responsibilities.
How to Apply:
To apply for membership on the committee, please send to the Center for Global Health a copy of your CV and one short-answer response (no longer than one page / 300 words) that address the topics listed below. Qualified applicants will be invited in for an informal meeting with current committee members to learn more about the committee's work and so they may ask questions. Applications will be reviewed by a committee within the Center for Global Health and students will be selected based on their previous experiences and engagement in global health.
- Name, current class year, NU ID number, email
- Indicate on your application if you wish to be considered for chair
- Prior academic and professional experience/interest in global health and why does Global Health matter to you?
Candidates will be invited to meet with current committee members.
All materials should be emailed to the attention of:
Daniel Young, Associate Director, Global Health Education; email@example.com.
Deadline to Apply: October 14, 2012
This page last updated Oct 12, 2012